Rule number one of being a successful photographer is this – be nosy. You can’t be good at what you do if you’re not interested in your subject, you’ve just got to sniff out those great photos. Before you can do that though, you’ve got to identify what it is exactly that you’re interested in. For LA photographer Brigitte Sire, that interest is artists; in particular what makes them tick.
As a result she’s just embarked on a long-term project to document some of her favourite artists in their creative spaces, getting to know them and better understanding their work in the process. “I picked these first three artists just off the top of my head.” says Brigitte, “I love their work, so I contacted them to shoot them.”
The artists Brigitte approached include two of our personal favourites, Jen Stark and Allison Schulnik, as well as soon-to-be favourite Devin Troy Strother. Trailing these three in their daily lives Brigitte began to form a greater sense of who these people are and why they create the work they do; “With Jen, I realised her work mimics nature… Allison has a room devoted to her dancing… Devin collects postcards, and he loves Matisse.” But the real genius of Brigitte’s photos is that they capture some of that personal connection for us, offering a behind the scenes of three creatives whose world’s we find fascinating. And that’s a skill that really speaks for itself.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant