Rule number one of being a successful photographer is this – be nosy. You can’t be good at what you do if you’re not interested in your subject, you’ve just got to sniff out those great photos. Before you can do that though, you’ve got to identify what it is exactly that you’re interested in. For LA photographer Brigitte Sire, that interest is artists; in particular what makes them tick.
As a result she’s just embarked on a long-term project to document some of her favourite artists in their creative spaces, getting to know them and better understanding their work in the process. “I picked these first three artists just off the top of my head.” says Brigitte, “I love their work, so I contacted them to shoot them.”
The artists Brigitte approached include two of our personal favourites, Jen Stark and Allison Schulnik, as well as soon-to-be favourite Devin Troy Strother. Trailing these three in their daily lives Brigitte began to form a greater sense of who these people are and why they create the work they do; “With Jen, I realised her work mimics nature… Allison has a room devoted to her dancing… Devin collects postcards, and he loves Matisse.” But the real genius of Brigitte’s photos is that they capture some of that personal connection for us, offering a behind the scenes of three creatives whose world’s we find fascinating. And that’s a skill that really speaks for itself.
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality