Rule number one of being a successful photographer is this – be nosy. You can’t be good at what you do if you’re not interested in your subject, you’ve just got to sniff out those great photos. Before you can do that though, you’ve got to identify what it is exactly that you’re interested in. For LA photographer Brigitte Sire, that interest is artists; in particular what makes them tick.
As a result she’s just embarked on a long-term project to document some of her favourite artists in their creative spaces, getting to know them and better understanding their work in the process. “I picked these first three artists just off the top of my head.” says Brigitte, “I love their work, so I contacted them to shoot them.”
The artists Brigitte approached include two of our personal favourites, Jen Stark and Allison Schulnik, as well as soon-to-be favourite Devin Troy Strother. Trailing these three in their daily lives Brigitte began to form a greater sense of who these people are and why they create the work they do; “With Jen, I realised her work mimics nature… Allison has a room devoted to her dancing… Devin collects postcards, and he loves Matisse.” But the real genius of Brigitte’s photos is that they capture some of that personal connection for us, offering a behind the scenes of three creatives whose world’s we find fascinating. And that’s a skill that really speaks for itself.
- Should account handlers and project managers be awarded like creatives?
- Graphic designer Kristoffer Halse Sølling navigates the power play between customer and superstore
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016
- What do you do if your design agency fails? One designer and ex-agency owner's support and advice
- Vibrant and bold work from French illustrator Mary Lou Faure
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood