If you read Issue 8 of our magazine last year you’ll know that we’re pretty damn keen on the output of Bureau Mirko Borsche. It’s not just the work they produce, although that is undoubtedly excellent, but also the ethos of the studio is one of creative experimentation and artistic freedom. Under the guidance of studio director and namesake Mirko Borsche, a group of designers, illustrators, photographers and art directors produce some of the most exciting creative work out there for clients as diverse as Die Zeit, Intel, Bayerische Staatsoper and queer lifestyle mag extraordinaire, Horst.
For anyone not well versed in their output we’d recommend spending some time on their site to enjoy the sheer breadth of work on display, but for anyone short on time, here’s one of our favourite projects; a series of illustrated posters for Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks that recalls the golden age of 1940s cinema and the identities of Hollywood staples like 20th Century Fox. Illustrated by Beni Haslimeier they’re a prime example of the blank canvas potential of printed posters to advertise cultural events (they make us desperately want to attend these concerts) – a fact that some of the UK’s institutions would do well to bear in mind.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant