If you read Issue 8 of our magazine last year you’ll know that we’re pretty damn keen on the output of Bureau Mirko Borsche. It’s not just the work they produce, although that is undoubtedly excellent, but also the ethos of the studio is one of creative experimentation and artistic freedom. Under the guidance of studio director and namesake Mirko Borsche, a group of designers, illustrators, photographers and art directors produce some of the most exciting creative work out there for clients as diverse as Die Zeit, Intel, Bayerische Staatsoper and queer lifestyle mag extraordinaire, Horst.
For anyone not well versed in their output we’d recommend spending some time on their site to enjoy the sheer breadth of work on display, but for anyone short on time, here’s one of our favourite projects; a series of illustrated posters for Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks that recalls the golden age of 1940s cinema and the identities of Hollywood staples like 20th Century Fox. Illustrated by Beni Haslimeier they’re a prime example of the blank canvas potential of printed posters to advertise cultural events (they make us desperately want to attend these concerts) – a fact that some of the UK’s institutions would do well to bear in mind.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting