Sometimes it’s easy to forget that the people we write about each day are normal folks with normal lives. The talented creatives we’re all so enamoured with actually exist outside of their studios, walking the same streets, eating the same food and taking the same holidays that we do. So what the heck do they get up to when they’re not creating beautiful things for us all to gawp at?
Well photographer Charlie Campbell takes photos, great photos, of her travels and trips. This might not seem like the greatest imaginative leap, but the marked difference between her professional style and personal collection is fascinating.
By day Charlie takes polished high-contrast portraits that reveal much about their subject and she’s also a dab-hand at reportage photography, documenting the strange and eccentric subcultures of British society. But on her travels the images take on a hazier aesthetic, capturing the transient nature of travelling and revelling in the ethereal glow of beachy sunsets and windswept landscapes. It’s enough to make you want to pack up your things and hit the road, with nothing but an old 35mm snapper in your hands.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations