Sometimes it’s easy to get carried away with modern life, perched happily on the apogee of human innovation in a tech-savvy world of comfort and convenience. What that kind of flabby mindset needs is a reality check, and Colors magazine has just the thing. The latest issue in its ongoing survival series is a guide to the big-one – apocalypse and how best to get through one.
The cheerful write-off on the website points out: “Civilization could end in a hundred ways. Yet the relentless onslaught of disaster prophecies leaves you overwhelmed, exhausted and unsure who to believe.” Fair point, but luckily for those of us afflicted with this so-called “apocalypse fatigue” help is here with a one-stop guide to riding out the worst things in the world.
The drawback though is that if you do need something to burn during a nuclear attack or a flash flood, this magazine is just far too beautiful to sacrifice. A lovely intricately-illustrated monochrome poster-cum-cover leads into the crisp, clear content, with the designers making excellent use of some stunning photography. A seriously good-looking treatment of this uber-dramatic subject matter.
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs