Next week sees the return of the Craft Council’s annual jamboree Collect, a celebration of the very best ceramic, glass, jewellery, textiles, wood, furniture, silver and fine metalwork by both new talent and established artist. To whet your crafty appetite (as in your appetite for craft not your cunning) they are counting down by asking a selection of top arts and design types to choose an object that encompasses everything they love about this eclectic, painstaking medium.
So far we’ve seen Sara Flynn’s Introvert Junction Vessel selected by the Design Council, the good folk over at Design Week went for Shigekazu Nagae’s Forms in Succession #1, Hela’s Furniture picked the Bellybottle trio by Paula Stokes, the Propagation Project plumped for Cactus by Junko Mori and the V&A named Noon Passama’s Untitled as their favourite.
With big-hitters like the Design Museum still to go it’s a daily dose of crafty (again not cunning) goodness that serves as a good way in to the fair and the discipline.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages