Next week sees the return of the Craft Council’s annual jamboree Collect, a celebration of the very best ceramic, glass, jewellery, textiles, wood, furniture, silver and fine metalwork by both new talent and established artist. To whet your crafty appetite (as in your appetite for craft not your cunning) they are counting down by asking a selection of top arts and design types to choose an object that encompasses everything they love about this eclectic, painstaking medium.
So far we’ve seen Sara Flynn’s Introvert Junction Vessel selected by the Design Council, the good folk over at Design Week went for Shigekazu Nagae’s Forms in Succession #1, Hela’s Furniture picked the Bellybottle trio by Paula Stokes, the Propagation Project plumped for Cactus by Junko Mori and the V&A named Noon Passama’s Untitled as their favourite.
With big-hitters like the Design Museum still to go it’s a daily dose of crafty (again not cunning) goodness that serves as a good way in to the fair and the discipline.
- Shannon Jager, a graphic designer combining the technical and the thoughtful
- The Gourmand visualises the intricate flavours of Glenmorangie whisky
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- Submit Saturdays: So you’ve built your website, what’s next?
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf