If you had to name magazines at the vanguard of the independent publishing movement then it’s likely Huck and Little White Lies would feature highly on your list. Now Danny Miller, Rob Longworth, Paul Willoughby and Alex Capes are stepping away from designing these titles – but with quite the proposed parting gift.
Curious Iconic Craft will be a limited edition book packed with insights into how these two titles have been put together over recent years, a goldmine for anyone interested in magazine design. As Rob and Paul say in their Kickstarter video: “We want to celebrate the last eight years by giving away everything we’ve learned,” rather than having it all “locked away in the reference folders on our server.”
The book will be produced under the Human After All name, the new agency the quartet have founded and promises the high quality design values with which their previous publications were associated.. Even if this isn’t for you, the video is worth a watch to see the outtakes as Paul and Rob struggle with their lines…
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale