Swiss designer Dafi Kühne has worked with editor Reto Caduff to design and edit a monograph of his work. True Print, published by Lars Müller, contains 152 pages that show the diverse work of Dafi and the designer in his studio. Dafi is known for mixing analogue and digital techniques to produce his distinctive work, using a massive array of tools – from the computer to a pantograph. “Never afraid of getting his hands dirty in his creative workshop, Dafi Kühne embraces the labour involved in the entire process of creating a poster, from initial idea to finished product,” says the publisher. “Fusing modern means with the century-old tradition of letterpress, he forms a new vocabulary for how to communicate through type and form in a truly contemporary way."
The book includes contributions from David Shields and Rudolf Barmettler that discuss the modes of working that Dafi employs and offer an insight into the attitudes of the man himself. Throughout the book the selected projects effortlessly move between styles, showcasing the expansive and impressive portfolio. Photography by Peter Hauser offer an atmospheric behind the scenes glimpse of Dafi at work.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant