The second issue of The Anonymous Sex Journal winged its way to the It’s Nice That studio this week and tickled us pink (part delight, part blushing). On this occasion Alex Tieghi-Walker’s labour of love (well, lust) concentrates on people’s first times and brings together 33 funny, poignant and honest accounts of guys and girls reaching this much-vaunted milestone. The best ones become strange little poems a la Tim Key, forming perfect snapshots of suburban fumbles. Take my personal favourite number 11 for example: “I found it hard to concentrate when I was losing my virginity, as I could hear my friend snorting vodka off a plate outside the bedroom window.”
For the visuals Alex commissioned the brilliant Damien Cuypers to react to this weird and wonderful collection of tales and Damien stepped up and then some with a pitch-perfect set of visual accompaniments to this most intimate selection of stories.
- Photographer Maxwell Conrad Granger shows the goofy beauty of youth
- Serpentine appoints Francis Kéré to build "tree-inspired" 2017 pavilion
- Director Nick Roney on taking The Lemon Twigs to his grandparents’ house
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Meet the speakers: Carl Burgess, Oscar Hudson, Mirka Laura Severa and Olivia Ahmad
- Varied, playful and slightly odd drawings from Japanese illustrator Summer House
- Grope Sans: a very rude typeface by Bompas & Parr
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- The reductive and exacting work of graphic designer Laura Prim
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Nicolas Jaar releases Network, a book inspired by radio