The second issue of The Anonymous Sex Journal winged its way to the It’s Nice That studio this week and tickled us pink (part delight, part blushing). On this occasion Alex Tieghi-Walker’s labour of love (well, lust) concentrates on people’s first times and brings together 33 funny, poignant and honest accounts of guys and girls reaching this much-vaunted milestone. The best ones become strange little poems a la Tim Key, forming perfect snapshots of suburban fumbles. Take my personal favourite number 11 for example: “I found it hard to concentrate when I was losing my virginity, as I could hear my friend snorting vodka off a plate outside the bedroom window.”
For the visuals Alex commissioned the brilliant Damien Cuypers to react to this weird and wonderful collection of tales and Damien stepped up and then some with a pitch-perfect set of visual accompaniments to this most intimate selection of stories.
- Kyle Platts and Andy Baker's animation takes us on a kaleidoscopic trip through the park
- Casper Balslev shows ballerinas wielding AK-47s in his ad for the Royal Danish Theatre
- An unusual custom typeface and great layouts for new print mag Migrant
- Bold, minimal-leaning graphic design from hot new studio Vrints-Kolsteren
- Daniel Savage’s monochrome animation plays with geometry and space
- Waverly Labs launches an earpiece that translates languages in real time
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?