One of the many things we learned as It’s Nice That grew was how invaluable the advice of others can be. Sometimes characterised as a precious, competitive industry, the creative community is actually amazingly supportive and generous with both its time and its wisdom. That’s one of the reasons why this timely new venture from Daniel Humphry and Creative England works so well. One Thing I Know is a free book and website where 45 established creative practitioners share things that have helped them get where they are today.
Featuring the like of Dave Sproxton of Aardman, Charles Wace of twofour and Ella Romanos of Remode, it’s an hugely useful and enlightening set of insights which should be a must-bookmark for anyone plotting a future in this industry.
As Daniel puts it: “Despite opportunities being rare in this recession, small creative businesses are popping up across the country, fronted by young creatives who refuse to sell themselves short. They are producing innovative, trendsetting work and in many areas out-stripping the established agencies who years before had nothing for them. Hopefully this book can be of help as others follow that path.”
And with Fiasco Design overseeing the look and feel of the booklet and the site, which feature some 30 illustrations, it’s a fine-looking project to boot.
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)