One of the many things we learned as It’s Nice That grew was how invaluable the advice of others can be. Sometimes characterised as a precious, competitive industry, the creative community is actually amazingly supportive and generous with both its time and its wisdom. That’s one of the reasons why this timely new venture from Daniel Humphry and Creative England works so well. One Thing I Know is a free book and website where 45 established creative practitioners share things that have helped them get where they are today.
Featuring the like of Dave Sproxton of Aardman, Charles Wace of twofour and Ella Romanos of Remode, it’s an hugely useful and enlightening set of insights which should be a must-bookmark for anyone plotting a future in this industry.
As Daniel puts it: “Despite opportunities being rare in this recession, small creative businesses are popping up across the country, fronted by young creatives who refuse to sell themselves short. They are producing innovative, trendsetting work and in many areas out-stripping the established agencies who years before had nothing for them. Hopefully this book can be of help as others follow that path.”
And with Fiasco Design overseeing the look and feel of the booklet and the site, which feature some 30 illustrations, it’s a fine-looking project to boot.
- Another week over, it's Best of the Web!
- Joseph Harmon's warped intricate works unveiled at new show in Brooklyn
- Sophie Littman captures the underlying awkwardness of a village orchestra
- New York-based agency T&T&T are in it for “$$$$$, fame and graphic bliss”
- The psychedelic world of Dexter Navy
- Photographer Ilyes Griyeb takes us to Senegal's salt lakes
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations