One of the many things we learned as It’s Nice That grew was how invaluable the advice of others can be. Sometimes characterised as a precious, competitive industry, the creative community is actually amazingly supportive and generous with both its time and its wisdom. That’s one of the reasons why this timely new venture from Daniel Humphry and Creative England works so well. One Thing I Know is a free book and website where 45 established creative practitioners share things that have helped them get where they are today.
Featuring the like of Dave Sproxton of Aardman, Charles Wace of twofour and Ella Romanos of Remode, it’s an hugely useful and enlightening set of insights which should be a must-bookmark for anyone plotting a future in this industry.
As Daniel puts it: “Despite opportunities being rare in this recession, small creative businesses are popping up across the country, fronted by young creatives who refuse to sell themselves short. They are producing innovative, trendsetting work and in many areas out-stripping the established agencies who years before had nothing for them. Hopefully this book can be of help as others follow that path.”
And with Fiasco Design overseeing the look and feel of the booklet and the site, which feature some 30 illustrations, it’s a fine-looking project to boot.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant