One of the many things we learned as It’s Nice That grew was how invaluable the advice of others can be. Sometimes characterised as a precious, competitive industry, the creative community is actually amazingly supportive and generous with both its time and its wisdom. That’s one of the reasons why this timely new venture from Daniel Humphry and Creative England works so well. One Thing I Know is a free book and website where 45 established creative practitioners share things that have helped them get where they are today.
Featuring the like of Dave Sproxton of Aardman, Charles Wace of twofour and Ella Romanos of Remode, it’s an hugely useful and enlightening set of insights which should be a must-bookmark for anyone plotting a future in this industry.
As Daniel puts it: “Despite opportunities being rare in this recession, small creative businesses are popping up across the country, fronted by young creatives who refuse to sell themselves short. They are producing innovative, trendsetting work and in many areas out-stripping the established agencies who years before had nothing for them. Hopefully this book can be of help as others follow that path.”
And with Fiasco Design overseeing the look and feel of the booklet and the site, which feature some 30 illustrations, it’s a fine-looking project to boot.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery