For my money there’s few things quite as gut-wrenching as the idea of the sad clown – a trope which has fascinated creatives from rococo painter Antoine Watteau (whose picture of Pierrot remains one of the most tragic scenes in art) right up to David Brent in The Office forced to lark around in a giant bird costume shortly after being fired. It is though something of a cliche and so any new takes on it need to steer clear of heavy-handed sentimentality, which Dave Brown navigates skillfully in his new project Tough Crowd.
The designer and photographer is no stranger to the comedy world, as he plays Bollo the gorilla in The Mighty Boosh and indeed both his co-stars Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt make an appearance. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg, with a really arresting series featuring both stand-ups and comedy actors, which at their best hint at some of the reasons people feel the need to pursue this apparently perverse career path. You can still go and check them out for a couple more days at London’s Strand Gallery or better still why not buy a print as all the proceeds go to the AfriKids charity.
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know