“My work was once described as organised chaos, which I think sums it up quite nicely,” says Northern Irish illustrator David McMillan, and we couldn’t agree more. David’s work shows illustration at its busiest, but remains balanced with his use of shape and composition.
Currently based in Bristol after studying illustration at University of the West of England, the majority of David’s work can be seen across publications such as The Guardian, Wired UK, Anorak and Beer Advocate. Working editorially is an ideal fit for David’s style of illustration, opening the pages of a magazine evokes a similar feeling as peeping into his sketchbook. “I love to keep the loose and messy quality of my sketchbook drawings, but when it comes to making any final pieces I think a lot about how the characters are going to interact and fit together to make an interesting or humorous composition.”
For illustrated content David looks to the familiar. “I’ve always enjoyed people watching and observational drawings. With the cities I’ve visited there has always been great characters to take inspiration from,” he tells It’s Nice That. “Then I try to combine that with simplifying them all down into basic or exaggerated shapes to get movement or personality across.” The result is illustration that bursts off the screen or printed page, with layer upon layer of colour and surprising structures.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos