It’s not often that we feature images of religious significance on the site, but David Vintiner’s photographs of a modern day version of a 1,000-year-old pilgrimage are too compelling not to. Pilgrim is a series that follows a group of Christians on a journey of religious observance to the island of Lindisfarne in Northumberland. The island used to be home to a monastery, made famous in the 7th Century by Saint Cuthbert, a miracle worker and later patron saint of Northumberland. The island and monastery were abandoned in 793 following its partial destruction by Viking raids and ever since pilgrims have been travelling there to pay homage to this once-great bastion of British Christianity.
Aside from the obvious mystique of this ancient tradition, David’s images manage to capture the mundanity of such an exercise. Apart from the wooden crosses on their shoulders, the subjects of these images look no more unusual than your average rambler, but the simple act of walking has a greater significance to these people than many of us will understand. It’s a tricky thing to capture this kind of inner dialogue using simple imagery but David has succeeded with skill.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant