Anglo-Japanese design partnership Studio Swine has collaborated with Ridley Scott Associates director Juriaan Booij, to create a sci-fi art film exploring a fictional planet made entirely of crystal. The duo, made up of architect Azusa Murkami and artist Alexander Groves, has produced Terraforming, a Hollywood trailer-style short, following a commission for Swarovski designers of the future 2015 at Design Miami/Basel.
Citing Swarovski’s historic relationship with the silver screen as a major influence in the production of Terraforming, Studio Swine pays homage to sci-fi favourites such as 2001 and Solaris with polished reflections of modernism in space and sleek utopian set design.
“One of the things that most inspired us when we visited Swarovski’s production and archives in Wattens was the incredible history. From the rubies on Dorothy’s slippers in The Wizard of Oz to the necklace worn by Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, all are Swarovski and are still used in current movies,” says the duo.
Director, and regular Studio Swine collaborator, Juriaan continues to reference 1960s sci-fi cinematography with a combination of macro-shots and celestial landscapes as the film’s protagonist, a young cartographer, transformed the newly discovered crystal terrain.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant