Evolution eh? From fish to monkeys to modern celebrities like Dermot O’Leary (I’m paraphrasing) it’s been one heck of a joyride. But what about the next steps – maybe it’s time for designers to step in. That’s the thinking behind Design Faction, a new show running as part of the Lodz Design Festival which explores how creative forward-thinkers can help us humans kick on from here, covering everything from communication to erotica.
The thinking behind the show may be serious, but there’s an enjoyably playful streak which runs throughout much of the work. Dominic Wilcox’s Finger Nose Stylus makes sure our smartphones are even easier to use, Gerard Rallo’s Device for Mindless Communication takes care of formulaic chit-chat and Gunnar Green’s Call me, Choke me gives wearers a sexy tightening thrill when they receive a phone call.
James Auger and Jimmy Loizeau have come up with a tooth implant to facilitate electronic telepathy, Revital Cohen’s Electrocyte Appendix turns blood sugar into electricity, Sitraka Rakatoniana wants prosthetic limbs to help us think and feel more deeply by replicating slowed down “bullet-time” and Vilma Jaruseviciute ‘s Urban Dolls accessories aim to replicate the effects of plastic surgery, at a fraction of the cost.
Smart, stylish and thought-provoking – looks like a blast. Your move evolution.
The show has been curated by Kasia Jezowska and was developed in partnership with the British Council.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"