Evolution eh? From fish to monkeys to modern celebrities like Dermot O’Leary (I’m paraphrasing) it’s been one heck of a joyride. But what about the next steps – maybe it’s time for designers to step in. That’s the thinking behind Design Faction, a new show running as part of the Lodz Design Festival which explores how creative forward-thinkers can help us humans kick on from here, covering everything from communication to erotica.
The thinking behind the show may be serious, but there’s an enjoyably playful streak which runs throughout much of the work. Dominic Wilcox’s Finger Nose Stylus makes sure our smartphones are even easier to use, Gerard Rallo’s Device for Mindless Communication takes care of formulaic chit-chat and Gunnar Green’s Call me, Choke me gives wearers a sexy tightening thrill when they receive a phone call.
James Auger and Jimmy Loizeau have come up with a tooth implant to facilitate electronic telepathy, Revital Cohen’s Electrocyte Appendix turns blood sugar into electricity, Sitraka Rakatoniana wants prosthetic limbs to help us think and feel more deeply by replicating slowed down “bullet-time” and Vilma Jaruseviciute ‘s Urban Dolls accessories aim to replicate the effects of plastic surgery, at a fraction of the cost.
Smart, stylish and thought-provoking – looks like a blast. Your move evolution.
The show has been curated by Kasia Jezowska and was developed in partnership with the British Council.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery