Evolution eh? From fish to monkeys to modern celebrities like Dermot O’Leary (I’m paraphrasing) it’s been one heck of a joyride. But what about the next steps – maybe it’s time for designers to step in. That’s the thinking behind Design Faction, a new show running as part of the Lodz Design Festival which explores how creative forward-thinkers can help us humans kick on from here, covering everything from communication to erotica.
The thinking behind the show may be serious, but there’s an enjoyably playful streak which runs throughout much of the work. Dominic Wilcox’s Finger Nose Stylus makes sure our smartphones are even easier to use, Gerard Rallo’s Device for Mindless Communication takes care of formulaic chit-chat and Gunnar Green’s Call me, Choke me gives wearers a sexy tightening thrill when they receive a phone call.
James Auger and Jimmy Loizeau have come up with a tooth implant to facilitate electronic telepathy, Revital Cohen’s Electrocyte Appendix turns blood sugar into electricity, Sitraka Rakatoniana wants prosthetic limbs to help us think and feel more deeply by replicating slowed down “bullet-time” and Vilma Jaruseviciute ‘s Urban Dolls accessories aim to replicate the effects of plastic surgery, at a fraction of the cost.
Smart, stylish and thought-provoking – looks like a blast. Your move evolution.
The show has been curated by Kasia Jezowska and was developed in partnership with the British Council.
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team