We were thrilled to see Letter to Jane nominated in the Designs of the Year digital category. Editor Tim Moore creates his stand out iPad-only publication with a zine mentality and price-tag to match yet the editorial content and visual contributions from the likes of Yoko Ono and Hedi Slimane is anything but cheap. It has fast become an exemplary independent digital publishing platform for artists, showcasing their creativity “without compromise” with spot-on online content to go with.
Also nominated was the my-future-children-will-laugh-at-me-for-thinking-this-is-weird Korean Tesco virtual store and the ingenious Face Substitution tech-wizadry by Arturo Castro and Kyle McDonald. Plus a couple pieces we picked up on the site last year: the Guardian iPad app and United Visual Artist’s installation at the National Maritime Museum, High Arctic.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting