We were thrilled to see Letter to Jane nominated in the Designs of the Year digital category. Editor Tim Moore creates his stand out iPad-only publication with a zine mentality and price-tag to match yet the editorial content and visual contributions from the likes of Yoko Ono and Hedi Slimane is anything but cheap. It has fast become an exemplary independent digital publishing platform for artists, showcasing their creativity “without compromise” with spot-on online content to go with.
Also nominated was the my-future-children-will-laugh-at-me-for-thinking-this-is-weird Korean Tesco virtual store and the ingenious Face Substitution tech-wizadry by Arturo Castro and Kyle McDonald. Plus a couple pieces we picked up on the site last year: the Guardian iPad app and United Visual Artist’s installation at the National Maritime Museum, High Arctic.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale