Don’t label this the frivolous category – 2012’s world of fashion is bursting at the seams (har har) with creative innovation. We were excited the Late-Night Chameleon Cafe picked up a nomination for their architectural concept boutique and subterranean art space. It’s over 6,000 square feet in size and features seven different “concept rooms” furthering the trend of blurring the segregation between shopping and gallery spaces. With a bare-bones wooden scaffolding and well-curated selection of established brands and new designers, LNCC has stepped up experimentation with the importance of atmosphere in the retail world.
We were also quite pleased with the nomination for Brompton, who’ve already made their name by bringing panache back to the world of folding bicycles. Will Carleysmith and his design team have tackled another item massively in need of a classy make-over – The Oratory Cycling Jacket takes cues from the tailoring of military jackets, featuring a button-up collar which can be unfolded to create blazer-style lapels.
Constructed from weather-resistant cotton (built to withstand up to an hour in heavy rain!) it’s designed to seamlessly transition from road to office in much the same manner as the Brompton Bicycle itself.
Fashion is a discipline of glamour and, elsewhere, aesthetics are high on the menu. There’s nominations for Sarah Burton’s exquisite nuptial garment and the ultra-elegant catwalk collections of Celine, Suno and Mary Katrantzou.
The New York Met’s retrospective of the incomprehensibly talented Alexander McQueen also gets a nod, as does the dizzy Ms. Westwood and her Ethical Fashion Africa, which we featured on the site back in September.
See the other Designs of the Year categories reviewed here.
- Get your pout on, it's Valentine's weekend, and it's the Best of the Web
- Moby Digg uses basic colours and shapes for photo exhibition identity
- From celebs to cleaners, Maxi Cohen photographs ladies’ rooms around the world
- Seoul-based illustrator Yeon Ji Kang's beautifully thick-limbed ballerinas
- Roses at the ready, our round-up of the best Valentine’s Day ideas from the creative world
- First Dates for those who create: two-thirds of Nous Vous on their special three-way relationship
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016