Of all the Designs of the Year categories, it is graphics that has a special place closest to our collective heart. Quietly, sophisticatedly standing out are the AA Files by John Morgan Studio – a continued series of content-heavy yet cleanly composed journals of record for the Architectural Association School of Architecture. Much like the discourse that fills their pages, these editions are enormously considered – something that reflects throughout the rest of this studio’s portfolio, so why have we not posted them before?!
Also nominated are Why Not Associates with Gordon Young and their very excellent Comedy Carpet (which incidentally just won the Grand Prix at the Tokyo Type Director’s Club) and the indispensable and distractingly compulsive Photo-Lettering site. Also, and it was one of our favourite books we reviewed last year, Four Corner’s Beauty is in the Street has been deservedly selected.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood