Of all the Designs of the Year categories, it is graphics that has a special place closest to our collective heart. Quietly, sophisticatedly standing out are the AA Files by John Morgan Studio – a continued series of content-heavy yet cleanly composed journals of record for the Architectural Association School of Architecture. Much like the discourse that fills their pages, these editions are enormously considered – something that reflects throughout the rest of this studio’s portfolio, so why have we not posted them before?!
Also nominated are Why Not Associates with Gordon Young and their very excellent Comedy Carpet (which incidentally just won the Grand Prix at the Tokyo Type Director’s Club) and the indispensable and distractingly compulsive Photo-Lettering site. Also, and it was one of our favourite books we reviewed last year, Four Corner’s Beauty is in the Street has been deservedly selected.
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August