The Designs of the Year product design category brings together an incredible range of projects under one shortlist-y roof, with everything from the Olympic Torch to wireless headphones represented. But in terms of sheer necessity, it’s impossible to look beyond Massoud Hassani’s Mine Kafon, a wind-powered anti-landmine device with an inbuilt GPS navigation system. The Afghan-born designer took on a problem close to his heart, and deserves all the attention and praise he is now getting.
As for the rest (the other 18 nominations!) we were particularly impressed by the Carbon Black Wheelchair, the Hövding Invisible Cycle Helmet, Simon Heijdens’ Shade, Trokia’s Thixotrope and Ville Kokkonen’s White Collection for Artek.
There’s two nominations for Barber and Osgerby for Ascent and the Olympic Torch and a nod for Ron Arad’s eyewear. There’s lighting from Bethan Laura Wood and Studio Bertjan Pot, headphones from KIBiSI and the Jawbone Jambox speakers.
Finally we have Nest’s Learning Thermostat, Black a& Decker’s new vacuum, Markus Kayser’s solar-powered craft machine, a lifesaver from Defibtech and Studio Studio Formafantasma’s back to nature Botanica project.
See the rest of our Designs of the Year reviews here.":http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/designs-of-the-year-2012-1
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant