The Designs of the Year product design category brings together an incredible range of projects under one shortlist-y roof, with everything from the Olympic Torch to wireless headphones represented. But in terms of sheer necessity, it’s impossible to look beyond Massoud Hassani’s Mine Kafon, a wind-powered anti-landmine device with an inbuilt GPS navigation system. The Afghan-born designer took on a problem close to his heart, and deserves all the attention and praise he is now getting.
As for the rest (the other 18 nominations!) we were particularly impressed by the Carbon Black Wheelchair, the Hövding Invisible Cycle Helmet, Simon Heijdens’ Shade, Trokia’s Thixotrope and Ville Kokkonen’s White Collection for Artek.
There’s two nominations for Barber and Osgerby for Ascent and the Olympic Torch and a nod for Ron Arad’s eyewear. There’s lighting from Bethan Laura Wood and Studio Bertjan Pot, headphones from KIBiSI and the Jawbone Jambox speakers.
Finally we have Nest’s Learning Thermostat, Black a& Decker’s new vacuum, Markus Kayser’s solar-powered craft machine, a lifesaver from Defibtech and Studio Studio Formafantasma’s back to nature Botanica project.
See the rest of our Designs of the Year reviews here.":http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/designs-of-the-year-2012-1
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know