The Designs of the Year product design category brings together an incredible range of projects under one shortlist-y roof, with everything from the Olympic Torch to wireless headphones represented. But in terms of sheer necessity, it’s impossible to look beyond Massoud Hassani’s Mine Kafon, a wind-powered anti-landmine device with an inbuilt GPS navigation system. The Afghan-born designer took on a problem close to his heart, and deserves all the attention and praise he is now getting.
As for the rest (the other 18 nominations!) we were particularly impressed by the Carbon Black Wheelchair, the Hövding Invisible Cycle Helmet, Simon Heijdens’ Shade, Trokia’s Thixotrope and Ville Kokkonen’s White Collection for Artek.
There’s two nominations for Barber and Osgerby for Ascent and the Olympic Torch and a nod for Ron Arad’s eyewear. There’s lighting from Bethan Laura Wood and Studio Bertjan Pot, headphones from KIBiSI and the Jawbone Jambox speakers.
Finally we have Nest’s Learning Thermostat, Black a& Decker’s new vacuum, Markus Kayser’s solar-powered craft machine, a lifesaver from Defibtech and Studio Studio Formafantasma’s back to nature Botanica project.
See the rest of our Designs of the Year reviews here.":http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/designs-of-the-year-2012-1
- Another week over, it's Best of the Web!
- Joseph Harmon's warped intricate works unveiled at new show in Brooklyn
- Sophie Littman captures the underlying awkwardness of a village orchestra
- New York-based agency T&T&T are in it for “$$$$$, fame and graphic bliss”
- The psychedelic world of Dexter Navy
- Photographer Ilyes Griyeb takes us to Senegal's salt lakes
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations