As much as the London Design Festival is about big-hitting installations, there’s also a slew of less headline grabbing stuff that nevertheless takes the capital’s creative pulse. The good people over at Dezeen today launched the Dezeen Space in Rivington Street, east London, which showcases their fabulous new Book of Ideas, a selection of watches to make your own timepiece feel frustratingly frumpy, and a selection of great art and design which changes daily. Check. It. Out.
Perhaps the most interesting element of the pop-up shop is the Dezeen Platform, a white one-metre-by-one-metre plinth that will showcase the work of a new up-and-coming designer every day. For the launch it was Sivan Royz’ laser-cut silk purses and handbags – delicate, beautiful and surprisingly practical.
Dominic Wilcox’s Moments in Time sculptures are also well worth seeking out, minutely-styled on the hands of watches. They are tiny, satirical creations that make some pleasingly big statements despite being rendered on such a small scale. I wads particularly taken with the man so engrossed in his Iphone that he is completely unaware of a monkey-topped juggler right next to him. Dominic says that was a sculpture based on his own experiences: “I find that I regularly walk down a street using my phone unaware of what is going on around. It’s dangerous but that text must be read and replied to.”
The Dezeen Space at 54 Rivington Street is open until October 16.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design