As much as the London Design Festival is about big-hitting installations, there’s also a slew of less headline grabbing stuff that nevertheless takes the capital’s creative pulse. The good people over at Dezeen today launched the Dezeen Space in Rivington Street, east London, which showcases their fabulous new Book of Ideas, a selection of watches to make your own timepiece feel frustratingly frumpy, and a selection of great art and design which changes daily. Check. It. Out.
Perhaps the most interesting element of the pop-up shop is the Dezeen Platform, a white one-metre-by-one-metre plinth that will showcase the work of a new up-and-coming designer every day. For the launch it was Sivan Royz’ laser-cut silk purses and handbags – delicate, beautiful and surprisingly practical.
Dominic Wilcox’s Moments in Time sculptures are also well worth seeking out, minutely-styled on the hands of watches. They are tiny, satirical creations that make some pleasingly big statements despite being rendered on such a small scale. I wads particularly taken with the man so engrossed in his Iphone that he is completely unaware of a monkey-topped juggler right next to him. Dominic says that was a sculpture based on his own experiences: “I find that I regularly walk down a street using my phone unaware of what is going on around. It’s dangerous but that text must be read and replied to.”
The Dezeen Space at 54 Rivington Street is open until October 16.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery