As much as the London Design Festival is about big-hitting installations, there’s also a slew of less headline grabbing stuff that nevertheless takes the capital’s creative pulse. The good people over at Dezeen today launched the Dezeen Space in Rivington Street, east London, which showcases their fabulous new Book of Ideas, a selection of watches to make your own timepiece feel frustratingly frumpy, and a selection of great art and design which changes daily. Check. It. Out.
Perhaps the most interesting element of the pop-up shop is the Dezeen Platform, a white one-metre-by-one-metre plinth that will showcase the work of a new up-and-coming designer every day. For the launch it was Sivan Royz’ laser-cut silk purses and handbags – delicate, beautiful and surprisingly practical.
Dominic Wilcox’s Moments in Time sculptures are also well worth seeking out, minutely-styled on the hands of watches. They are tiny, satirical creations that make some pleasingly big statements despite being rendered on such a small scale. I wads particularly taken with the man so engrossed in his Iphone that he is completely unaware of a monkey-topped juggler right next to him. Dominic says that was a sculpture based on his own experiences: “I find that I regularly walk down a street using my phone unaware of what is going on around. It’s dangerous but that text must be read and replied to.”
The Dezeen Space at 54 Rivington Street is open until October 16.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang