Often on a bus or train you’ll see someone scribbling away in a notebook and if you’re lucky/brazen enough you might be in a position to see what they’re putting down on paper, potentially for posterity. Of course, often it’s something fairly mundane/disturbing (a shopping list or a hateful monograph about someone called Martin) but the possibility always exists that it’s the mental meanderings of a bona fide genius.
The good folk who run dOCUMENTA (13), a 100-day arts festival that takes place in Germany once very five years, are similarly obsessed, and are publishing 100 facsimilied notebooks with Hatje Cantz to mark this year’s event.
Encompassing artists, scientists, philosophers, linguists, psychologists economists and political theorists, 100 Notes–100 Thoughts is a diverse bunch of some of significant figures’ intimate musings
As the organisers put it: “A note is a trace, a word, a drawing that all of a sudden becomes part of thinking, and is transformed into an idea. This publication project follows that path, presenting the mind in a prologue state, in a pre-public arena. A space for intimacy and not yet of criticism, dOCUMENTA is publishing the unpublishable, the voice—and the reader is our alibi and ally. Note taking encompasses witnessing, drawing, writing, and diagrammatic thinking; it is speculative, manifests a preliminary moment, a passage, and acts as a memory aid.”
The aim is to “explore how thinking emerges and lies at the heart of re-imagining the world. Thoughts, unlike statements, are always variations: this is the spirit in which these notebooks are proposed.”
Designed by Leftloft they are simple, striking objects available in varying formats and either English or German. We basically want them all.
dOCUMENTA (13) runs from June 9 until 16 September.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)