The phrase “ideas man” has become warped by its overuse as a middle management staple, the meaningless cover letter boast. But it’s time to reclaim it we think as Dominic Wilcox is an ideas man in the purest sense.
From creating tiny satirical sculptures on watch faces or racing a 3D printer to make a model of St Paul’s Cathedral, he is a creative with the a seemingly endless supply of interesting and innovative schemes. HIs new show at London’s KK Outlet includes some of his greatest hits, along with the sketches for his first book Variations on Normal. These are sublimely silly sketches for products that may be insane or genius such as the family poncho or the Iphone nose stylus for in-bath browsing.
Visitors to the exhibition will also have exclusive access to a new project which features all the trademark intelligence and irreverence which has come to characterise his work.
He says: “I spend most of my time attempting to reveal the hidden surprises which are embedded within the banal, everyday things that surround us.” And he’s more than happy to move from his simple sketches to creating actual prototypes if he believes the idea warrants it. So another piece intros show is a pair of GPS shoes with a map on the sole that guide the wearer home through toe-mounted LEDs.
Dominic has a serious design talent wrapped in an excellent sense of humour and that’s a combination.
The show runs until September 26.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery