The phrase “ideas man” has become warped by its overuse as a middle management staple, the meaningless cover letter boast. But it’s time to reclaim it we think as Dominic Wilcox is an ideas man in the purest sense.
From creating tiny satirical sculptures on watch faces or racing a 3D printer to make a model of St Paul’s Cathedral, he is a creative with the a seemingly endless supply of interesting and innovative schemes. HIs new show at London’s KK Outlet includes some of his greatest hits, along with the sketches for his first book Variations on Normal. These are sublimely silly sketches for products that may be insane or genius such as the family poncho or the Iphone nose stylus for in-bath browsing.
Visitors to the exhibition will also have exclusive access to a new project which features all the trademark intelligence and irreverence which has come to characterise his work.
He says: “I spend most of my time attempting to reveal the hidden surprises which are embedded within the banal, everyday things that surround us.” And he’s more than happy to move from his simple sketches to creating actual prototypes if he believes the idea warrants it. So another piece intros show is a pair of GPS shoes with a map on the sole that guide the wearer home through toe-mounted LEDs.
Dominic has a serious design talent wrapped in an excellent sense of humour and that’s a combination.
The show runs until September 26.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant