The phrase “ideas man” has become warped by its overuse as a middle management staple, the meaningless cover letter boast. But it’s time to reclaim it we think as Dominic Wilcox is an ideas man in the purest sense.
From creating tiny satirical sculptures on watch faces or racing a 3D printer to make a model of St Paul’s Cathedral, he is a creative with the a seemingly endless supply of interesting and innovative schemes. HIs new show at London’s KK Outlet includes some of his greatest hits, along with the sketches for his first book Variations on Normal. These are sublimely silly sketches for products that may be insane or genius such as the family poncho or the Iphone nose stylus for in-bath browsing.
Visitors to the exhibition will also have exclusive access to a new project which features all the trademark intelligence and irreverence which has come to characterise his work.
He says: “I spend most of my time attempting to reveal the hidden surprises which are embedded within the banal, everyday things that surround us.” And he’s more than happy to move from his simple sketches to creating actual prototypes if he believes the idea warrants it. So another piece intros show is a pair of GPS shoes with a map on the sole that guide the wearer home through toe-mounted LEDs.
Dominic has a serious design talent wrapped in an excellent sense of humour and that’s a combination.
The show runs until September 26.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s