August! Augggggguuuuussssssst! Yeah whatever. Enjoy our sun-kissed beach-esque editor’s letter graphic and then compare it to the drab, grey, overcast continuum that is this year’s summertime (in the UK at any rate). But luckily every day is a scorcher here at It’s Nice That metaphorically speaking and the lack of Vitamin D is not getting in our way. No siree.
We’ve just tied up this year’s Graduates event and we’re hugely proud to present 12 young talents with big futures ahead of them. So just in case you haven’t checked out Ellie, Lorna, Josh, Jake, Andrew, Alex, Isabel, Jack, Grace, another Josh, Nick and Signe then they’re all right here.
Talking of Here (seamless) we are getting a bit dizzy with excitement ahead of our one day creative symposium in September having just confirmed Thomas Heatherwick – design man-of-the-moment after that torch – as our closing speaker to join Paul Smith, Carol Morley,Quentin Jones, Eike Konig and a whole host more of amazing names. Roll on September 21.
Magazine-wise we have recently been conducting a shedload of surveys trying to glean exactly what our readers want from our print offerings. To give us time to digest the feedback we have decided to postpone Issue 9 of the magazine until March next year, but we are working on something rather special to bridge the gap, more details of which will be released soon.
We’re also drawing up plans for the second series of our Studio Audience podcast – all of which are here – so thanks so much to everyone who downloaded them and for all your feedback. Series Two will be bigger and better and we’re really looking forward to it.
And last but not least we realised that introducing new creatives on the site by way of their work is all very well but why not introduce them by way of a proper introductory interview as well. With that in mind our new Introducing… feature is doing just that.
So that’s us really, how’s things with you?
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs