August! Augggggguuuuussssssst! Yeah whatever. Enjoy our sun-kissed beach-esque editor’s letter graphic and then compare it to the drab, grey, overcast continuum that is this year’s summertime (in the UK at any rate). But luckily every day is a scorcher here at It’s Nice That metaphorically speaking and the lack of Vitamin D is not getting in our way. No siree.
We’ve just tied up this year’s Graduates event and we’re hugely proud to present 12 young talents with big futures ahead of them. So just in case you haven’t checked out Ellie, Lorna, Josh, Jake, Andrew, Alex, Isabel, Jack, Grace, another Josh, Nick and Signe then they’re all right here.
Talking of Here (seamless) we are getting a bit dizzy with excitement ahead of our one day creative symposium in September having just confirmed Thomas Heatherwick – design man-of-the-moment after that torch – as our closing speaker to join Paul Smith, Carol Morley,Quentin Jones, Eike Konig and a whole host more of amazing names. Roll on September 21.
Magazine-wise we have recently been conducting a shedload of surveys trying to glean exactly what our readers want from our print offerings. To give us time to digest the feedback we have decided to postpone Issue 9 of the magazine until March next year, but we are working on something rather special to bridge the gap, more details of which will be released soon.
We’re also drawing up plans for the second series of our Studio Audience podcast – all of which are here – so thanks so much to everyone who downloaded them and for all your feedback. Series Two will be bigger and better and we’re really looking forward to it.
And last but not least we realised that introducing new creatives on the site by way of their work is all very well but why not introduce them by way of a proper introductory interview as well. With that in mind our new Introducing… feature is doing just that.
So that’s us really, how’s things with you?
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label