When you look at a photograph by Edward Burtynsky, it’s customary to be overcome by the sheer scale of his work. He deals with big subjects – industrialisation, economic growth, the prevalence of oil and the mechanised mining of our earth – and his trademark panoramic shots add a breathtaking sense of perspective to them. Who else would you get to shoot vast mining craters in Australia, the ship-breaking graveyards of Bangladesh and the rapidly-expanding industrial districts of China?
What’s less apparent (but equally breathtaking) is just how long he’s been producing work of this magnitude and calibre. Snap back to 1983 and a 30-year-old Burtynsky has just started producing large-format images of railway cuts in his native Canada. They’re the very first of multiple landscape series’ that went on to define his career. For early work, Burtynsky’s accomplishment is extraordinary, and his technique is groundbreaking in its approach. To look back on these images now with an understanding of the illustrious career that’s filled the intervening years offers a remarkable insight into a truly incredible photographer. So have a look, and then think about just how great this man really is.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant