For you and I, motorways are merely the most efficient way of getting from A to B, perhaps enlivened by a great CD or a particularly memorable snack. But others see something else – something important, and beautiful and even inspirational. Take Black Box Recorder, who did a song called The English Motorway System. Or take Edward Chell, an artist whose fascination with transition and peripheries has long informed his practice.
Eclipse is a series of 60 silhouette paintings of plants and weeds that has evolved from Soft Estate_, a previous project focused on the ecosystems of motorway sidings. They are currently on show at the The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge in Canterbury, which says of the work: "Eclipse foregrounds contrasting tensions between the rational, scientific impulse to record and classify the natural world according to Linnaean rules, and the fragile, fugitive, ever-shifting eco systems on which our existence depends. A sense of joyous encounter with the natural world is imbued with the bitter sweet, elegiac quality of 18th Century silhouette portraits of loved ones.
Eclipse is on show until September 8.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography