We love Riitta Ikonen, we really do. So imagine our glee when we found out she and Karoline Hjorth had released the third chapter of their Eyes as Big as Plates series. The first part of this project was produced “in collaboration with local senior heroes, sailors, retired agronomes and 90-year old parachuters”, all from Riitta’s hometown of Pohjois-Karjala.
Focusing on the wonderful heritage of this small town, “Eyes as Big as Plates presents Pohjois-Karjala seniors through references of familiar characters and protagonists of Finnish folklore, infused with the participating local seniors’ own stories and personal relationship to folklore, myths and imagination.” If you live in New York, you’ve got to go and see this show and if you can, try and meet Riitta and Karoline — there are undoubtedly many more stories to be heard about the making of this magnificent project.
Eyes as Big as Plates will be on show at Brooklyn’s Recess from February 15 – April 26, 2013
- Kyle Platts and Andy Baker's animation takes us on a kaleidoscopic trip through the park
- Casper Balslev shows ballerinas wielding AK-47s in his ad for the Royal Danish Theatre
- An unusual custom typeface and great layouts for new print mag Migrant
- Bold, minimal-leaning graphic design from hot new studio Vrints-Kolsteren
- Daniel Savage’s monochrome animation plays with geometry and space
- Waverly Labs launches an earpiece that translates languages in real time
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?