We love Riitta Ikonen, we really do. So imagine our glee when we found out she and Karoline Hjorth had released the third chapter of their Eyes as Big as Plates series. The first part of this project was produced “in collaboration with local senior heroes, sailors, retired agronomes and 90-year old parachuters”, all from Riitta’s hometown of Pohjois-Karjala.
Focusing on the wonderful heritage of this small town, “Eyes as Big as Plates presents Pohjois-Karjala seniors through references of familiar characters and protagonists of Finnish folklore, infused with the participating local seniors’ own stories and personal relationship to folklore, myths and imagination.” If you live in New York, you’ve got to go and see this show and if you can, try and meet Riitta and Karoline — there are undoubtedly many more stories to be heard about the making of this magnificent project.
Eyes as Big as Plates will be on show at Brooklyn’s Recess from February 15 – April 26, 2013
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”