We love Riitta Ikonen, we really do. So imagine our glee when we found out she and Karoline Hjorth had released the third chapter of their Eyes as Big as Plates series. The first part of this project was produced “in collaboration with local senior heroes, sailors, retired agronomes and 90-year old parachuters”, all from Riitta’s hometown of Pohjois-Karjala.
Focusing on the wonderful heritage of this small town, “Eyes as Big as Plates presents Pohjois-Karjala seniors through references of familiar characters and protagonists of Finnish folklore, infused with the participating local seniors’ own stories and personal relationship to folklore, myths and imagination.” If you live in New York, you’ve got to go and see this show and if you can, try and meet Riitta and Karoline — there are undoubtedly many more stories to be heard about the making of this magnificent project.
Eyes as Big as Plates will be on show at Brooklyn’s Recess from February 15 – April 26, 2013
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations