Prolific Twitter gagsmith Pundamentalism Tweeted this morning: “I hope there will be some tweets about the World Cup – seems crazy that nobody is talking about it yet.” Of course he was actually being a bit of a tinker because it seems like that’s all anybody’s talking about as we near the big kick-off in Brazil. Over the coming days we too will undoubtedly start to showcase some of the many creative projects inspired by the tournament, but we’re going to start a little closer to home.
Fives is a joint venture between our sister agency INT Works and ourselves and was the brainchild of art director Jamie McIntyre. The World Cup is not always remembered for who beat who or who scored when; what sticks in the mind is the moments of magic and madness – individual acts that are genius, hilarious, bizarre or astonishing. So we put out the call to some of our favourite creatives to choose a memory from World Cups past and reinterpret it in a five second film.
It’s fair to say we were bowled over by the response. More than 25 creatives from Italy to the Netherlands, USA to Germany have submitted so far; the likes of Andy Baker, Sarah Mazzetti, Studio Spass, Damien Poulain, CANADA and Paul Layzell choosing moments ranging from Maradona’s Hand of God to Michael Owen’s wonder goal vs Argentina, Jack Charlton losing his cool with a FIFA official to Gary Lineker’s “Have a word with him” after Gazz’s cruel booking at World Cup Italia ’90.
Check out the whole set over on the dedicated Fives microsite and start limbering up for four weeks of wall-to-wall World Cup madness. Football!
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round