Prolific Twitter gagsmith Pundamentalism Tweeted this morning: “I hope there will be some tweets about the World Cup – seems crazy that nobody is talking about it yet.” Of course he was actually being a bit of a tinker because it seems like that’s all anybody’s talking about as we near the big kick-off in Brazil. Over the coming days we too will undoubtedly start to showcase some of the many creative projects inspired by the tournament, but we’re going to start a little closer to home.
Fives is a joint venture between our sister agency INT Works and ourselves and was the brainchild of art director Jamie McIntyre. The World Cup is not always remembered for who beat who or who scored when; what sticks in the mind is the moments of magic and madness – individual acts that are genius, hilarious, bizarre or astonishing. So we put out the call to some of our favourite creatives to choose a memory from World Cups past and reinterpret it in a five second film.
It’s fair to say we were bowled over by the response. More than 25 creatives from Italy to the Netherlands, USA to Germany have submitted so far; the likes of Andy Baker, Sarah Mazzetti, Studio Spass, Damien Poulain, CANADA and Paul Layzell choosing moments ranging from Maradona’s Hand of God to Michael Owen’s wonder goal vs Argentina, Jack Charlton losing his cool with a FIFA official to Gary Lineker’s “Have a word with him” after Gazz’s cruel booking at World Cup Italia ’90.
Check out the whole set over on the dedicated Fives microsite and start limbering up for four weeks of wall-to-wall World Cup madness. Football!
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant