Prolific Twitter gagsmith Pundamentalism Tweeted this morning: “I hope there will be some tweets about the World Cup – seems crazy that nobody is talking about it yet.” Of course he was actually being a bit of a tinker because it seems like that’s all anybody’s talking about as we near the big kick-off in Brazil. Over the coming days we too will undoubtedly start to showcase some of the many creative projects inspired by the tournament, but we’re going to start a little closer to home.
Fives is a joint venture between our sister agency INT Works and ourselves and was the brainchild of art director Jamie McIntyre. The World Cup is not always remembered for who beat who or who scored when; what sticks in the mind is the moments of magic and madness – individual acts that are genius, hilarious, bizarre or astonishing. So we put out the call to some of our favourite creatives to choose a memory from World Cups past and reinterpret it in a five second film.
It’s fair to say we were bowled over by the response. More than 25 creatives from Italy to the Netherlands, USA to Germany have submitted so far; the likes of Andy Baker, Sarah Mazzetti, Studio Spass, Damien Poulain, CANADA and Paul Layzell choosing moments ranging from Maradona’s Hand of God to Michael Owen’s wonder goal vs Argentina, Jack Charlton losing his cool with a FIFA official to Gary Lineker’s “Have a word with him” after Gazz’s cruel booking at World Cup Italia ’90.
Check out the whole set over on the dedicated Fives microsite and start limbering up for four weeks of wall-to-wall World Cup madness. Football!
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality