Fabian Oefner is an artist who likes to try different things. Last year we were wowed by his Millefiori project wherein he added watercolours to the magnetic solution ferrofluid with eye-poppingly gorgeous results. When Fabian got in touch with his latest series Black Hole we were obviously excited, and it didn’t disappoint. The idea behind his new work is simple enough – various shades of acrylic paint are dripped onto a metal rod which is then connected to a drill. When the drill is turned on, Fabian used a sensor to capture the effects just milliseconds after the rod began to rotate.
The results are superb, with the paint whipped into beautiful circular patterns by the centripetal force and a perfect circle of darkness – the eponymous Black Hole – left in the centre. Fabian was inspired by the work of Jackson Pollock, but says: “Contrary to Pollock`s masterpieces, which show the result of his painting process, in the “Black Hole” series, the focus is put on the action itself: the moment, where the paint is in motion. The action painting is turned into a paint action, the process itself becomes a piece of art.”
Top stuff Fabian!
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Daily Dialogue’s minimal designs for its eclectic mix of clients
- Have “artisanal” brands and “craft” branding had their day?
- 15 years of doing it in public: Moment Factory’s “school of infinite amazement”
- Yayoi Kusama brings infinity and her iconic pumpkins to two stunning new London shows
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)