To say that we’re jealous of the inhabitants of Benetton’s Fabrica research department is an understatement. Those guys are living the creative dream in a sci-fi design utopia that Asimov himself couldn’t have dreamt up. Housed in a restored and updated 17th century villa near Venice, participants come from all fields of the creative industry and are invited to collaborate on projects ranging from furniture design to digital research. There’s labs, workshops, a cinema and libraries – exactly how you dreamed art college would be until you arrived at the dilapidated concrete monstrosity for the first time.
Recent graduate Filipe Ferreira (aka Graphic Monkeys) is just one more reason why we’re jealous of Fabrica. The Porutguese designer has spent the last year creating in this sacred space and has produced some stunning design work while he’s been there. Felipe’s simple creations are designed with furniture in mind, produced to accompany and promote the 3D output of the facility’s product designers, and allow the objects to shine on their own, without being overshadowed by his work. He’s also produced some lovely typefaces that are instantly approachable, fitting in perfectly with Fabrica’s open ethos.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs