“Reclaim the Forgotten, cherish the neglected, treasure the abandoned, encourage the overlooked, adore the unfashionable, re-invent the unwanted, champion the unloved, value the rejected” reads the copy on the souvenirs page on the Museum of British Folklore site. When visiting this particular page, you’d be forgiven for thinking that this museum was already up and running, but sadly it is not. And that is where filmmaker Tom Chick has stepped in – to encourage donations and support for one of the worthiest causes I’ve certainly ever read about.
The plan is to build a museum for the public that champions the timeless, cherished traditions of the British Isles. From Morris Dancing to The Flaming Tar Barrels of Ottery St Mary, and from Horn Dancing to the Whittlesea Straw Bear, this short film reminds you of the treasures our country holds in the way of folkloric tradition, and how it’s almost madness there has not been a place to house it all in until now. Fancy a visit to this museum as much as I do? Check out their manifesto and get involved in making this dream a reality.
- Yayoi Kusama brings infinity and her iconic pumpkins to two stunning new London shows
- How I Got Here: Kim Gehrig, director
- Founder and creative director of ManvsMachine, Mike Alderson on his most-loved books
- From big cats to commuters, Reece Wykes creates characters using the subtlest of details
- Back to the Future: what today's creatives can learn from yesterday's design principles
- Moniker’s crisp and colourful laser cut posters for Designer Fund
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)