Last week we were delighted to unveil First Broadcast, our brand new dedicated video channel where you’ll be able to find both videos filmed at our events as well as specially-commissioned content. The first of these new series is Between The Lines, where we visited the studios of some of our favourite publications in an attempt to see how these places, and their personalities, inform the way they work. This week we’ll be presenting these first five videos one a day, kicking off with creative powerhouse Tony Brook of Unit Editions and Spin.
Unit Editions (which Tony runs with Adrian Shaughnessy) has a peerless reputation for publishing intelligent and great looking design tomes, either based around a single creative genius (like Ken Garland or Herb Lubalin) or a particular theme (recently the book on type-centred poster design).
Tony took some time out from his hectic schedule to sit down with us in his south London studio and give us an insight into how and where Unit Editions works.
- Sam Pilling, Hattie Newman, Phil Sharp and Kit Caless at Nicer Tuesdays September
- Stephanie Unger’s instinctive illustrations use bright colours and simple shapes
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Nobrow co-founder Sam Arthur shares his favourite books
- Photographer Laura Pannack finds inspiration in a Romanian folk tale
- Ho Tam, the one-man-band publisher
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf