Any new release from Unit Editions (Tony Brook and Adrian Shaughnessy’s design publishing powerhouse) is always cause for celebration here at It’s Nice That towers, but their newest offering has got us particularly excited. Type Only does what it says on the tin (cover) – celebrating the design trend for using typography unaccompanied by illustration or photography.
As the publishers say: “Type Only explores the communicative and emotive power of type when used in isolation. The book identifies this use of type as a growing and influential contemporary trend, but it also looks at the historical antecedents of this sort of work.”
So ranging from the Dadaists and Futurists through modernism, post-modernism and right up to contemporary trends, the book showcases visually arresting manifestations of this desire to let type speak for itself.
The book takes as its starting point the bold assertion by British design group 8vo that type “could be the core ingredient of a graphic solution” and sets about backing it up with a host of brilliant, beautiful and well-chosen examples. Design geeks of all stripes will probably want to pre-order this one right away…
- Rob Flowers, Roberto Rosolin, Liv Siddall and Greg Barth at Nicer Tuesdays October
- Milou Trouwborst's refined, simplistic and melancholic illustrations
- "It was strangely liberating" – Christoph Niemann on creating his new book Sunday Sketching
- Designer Okuyama Taiki encourages you to “play freely” with his experimental posters
- Gijs Henselmans’ illustrations: absurd, gruesome, but always hilarious
- All That Glitters: inside the Barbican’s “vulgar” catalogue
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design