This week’s trip to London Fashion Week made for some excellent people watching. The glitteratti, stylish and outlandish were out in force, but my attention was captured by Fred Butler’s AW12 show; an exciting fusion of fashion and music with a exclusive live track performed by Charli XCX (courtesy of Red Bull Catwalk Studio) – sounds that complemented and enhanced the “tropical explosion of colour and magic” in the collection. These pieces certainly married up to Fred Butler’s rainbow approach to “living life in colour.”
Japanese influences were evident but presented with a unique twist. Borrowing motifs from kimonos and origami, her range of sculptural, geometric, padded and paper folded accessories came in hues of sugary sweet treats. Twisted marshmallow-like headwear and belts adorned the heads of the models. Their knitted undergarments – a collaboration with EDE England and the highlight for me – perfectly matching their coiffed hair tints.
The Valentine Roll Neck jumpers and matching knitted knickers come in a “sushi-inspired palette: cream, wasabi green, caviar coral orange and salmon pink” for those wanting to embrace an injection of colour. And the Rosy Nicholas shoe collaboration should finish off the look perfectly. What fun!
Images courtesy Elisha Smith Leverock.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant