This week’s trip to London Fashion Week made for some excellent people watching. The glitteratti, stylish and outlandish were out in force, but my attention was captured by Fred Butler’s AW12 show; an exciting fusion of fashion and music with a exclusive live track performed by Charli XCX (courtesy of Red Bull Catwalk Studio) – sounds that complemented and enhanced the “tropical explosion of colour and magic” in the collection. These pieces certainly married up to Fred Butler’s rainbow approach to “living life in colour.”
Japanese influences were evident but presented with a unique twist. Borrowing motifs from kimonos and origami, her range of sculptural, geometric, padded and paper folded accessories came in hues of sugary sweet treats. Twisted marshmallow-like headwear and belts adorned the heads of the models. Their knitted undergarments – a collaboration with EDE England and the highlight for me – perfectly matching their coiffed hair tints.
The Valentine Roll Neck jumpers and matching knitted knickers come in a “sushi-inspired palette: cream, wasabi green, caviar coral orange and salmon pink” for those wanting to embrace an injection of colour. And the Rosy Nicholas shoe collaboration should finish off the look perfectly. What fun!
Images courtesy Elisha Smith Leverock.
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Tomomi Maezawa designs airy identity for Fabrica and Daikin collaboration
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting