In this short for California Sunday Magazine animator Freddy Arenas translates the thoughtful musings of Sonic Youth co-founder, bassist and all round icon, Kim Gordon, on her childhood in California. Sonic Youth are a band historically tied to New York but Kim’s artistic and musical influences have stemmed from her West Coast upbringing, carefully reimagined in Freddy’s animation for her edition of the California Inspires Me series.
Freddy’s attention to detail in depicting Kim’s memories of night blooming jasmine, the California sunshine and her record collection, makes for an uplifting, nostalgic short. Freddy effortlessly translates the tone of Kim Gordon’s voice through his animation, “I wanted the film to feel super moody, Kim’s voiceover had this quality, even when she was happy or excited, it felt laggy and chill” he says. His use of black ink on vivid backgrounds creates an evocative image of the location without being typical. The success of these illustrations comes from Freddy’s fondness for Kim, “I was super excited, I’m a skateboarder, I grew up listening to Sonic Youth everyday,” the inspiration coming from the album covers for Sonic Youth’s Goo and Washing Machine.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc