From time to time we’re going to be handing over our Friday Mixtape to friends of ours so they can share their musical inspiration with you, our dear readers/listeners. First up we are delighted to welcome the fine folk of NTS Radio, and in particular Heather Weil, one of those behind the fortnightly show Black Impulse. She is on a mission to broaden your audio horizons, so over to her…
“I’m a graphic designer, occasional writer and although there’s a wide array, my record collection primarily focuses on prog, heavy psych and 1970s-80s punk and hardcore, which are most of the focus in this mix.
“These are three really difficult genres to make accessible and sell the idea to others, especially since the reputation associated with prog is often by word of mouth and not exploring it. There’s nothing to fear, it’s not gruesome as it’s made out to be and I hope that there’s at least one song here that resonates with you.
“This mix culminates what I listen to day-to-day (while the office I work in drones to repetitive commercial FM radio). So, here’s 30 songs, encompassing just under two hours of music to get you through your Friday.”
- Swiss zine highlights the many times The Simpsons has predicted the future
- Twelve studio’s rippling identity for Beijing new media studio
- Mumbai-based artist Yashasvi Mathis' unconventional take on the world
- Gufram, the iconic funhouse bridging the gap between design and art
- Active Arab Women: Lara Al-Hadeedi records the determination of sporting Kuwaiti women
- Meet the French illustrator creating part-animal, part-human Frankenmonsters
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August