Gary Card is a man for whom the word bespectacled could have been invented. Whenever I see him it’s the first thing I notice and if I had to draw him in a Pictionary-esque scenario, it’s what I’d start with. But if my team still couldn’t guess it, I would have a stab at drawing something technically brilliant and amazingly creative because this guy is the real deal. His new project for Arjowiggins’ Curious Matter paper collection is a fantastical set of creatures which reflect the theme of metamorphosis (the paper is created using potato starch) and as ever Gary makes the most of most of his materials which he harnesses to his own unerring sensibilities. A tip of the cap to you Mr Card.
Check out the nice making-of video below as well for an insight into Gary’s studio and the photoshoot.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”