If you weren’t already aware, It’s Nice That has this week curated a selection of carefully-picked speakers as part of GF Smith’s paper-infused event Beauty in the Making. More a celebration than an exhibition, more a workshop than a gallery, it is a fine example of a lovely group of people who know an awful lot about one subject, passing it on to those who never knew there was so much to learn.
Set in the magnificently cavernous basement of Victoria House in Bloomsbury, GF Smith are showcasing their knowledge, history and sheer passion for the production of fine quality paper. As you set foot in the space you are immediately greeted by five enormous, metre-high stacks of vibrant, heavy stock paper, the top sheet laser-cut to reveal the schedule for the week’s events.
And what events! As well as the 30 talks curated by It’s Nice That, GF Smith have also laid on a journey through the history of paper and design, from the process of creating paper to letter pressing and envelope-making workshops around every corner. The outrageously friendly members of GF Smith are smiling at every exhibit and offering sincere, intriguing tours around the exhibition to anyone that looks remotely bewildered.
Britain’s economy doesn’t leave much room, or time, for celebration without some sort of financial catch, which is where the beauty really lies in the making of this show – it is an honest declaration of love for something that we have used every day since we can remember (and it’s free!).
If you have a chance this week, do come and see it – if not for the pleasure of learning about this wonderful substance then for the scandalously generous gift bag presented to each guest.
Beauty in the Making runs until tomorrow, Friday April 27, at the Victoria House basment, Southampton Row.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s