Another day, another astounding student work in progress show identity. This time, it’s for Glasgow School of Art, created by Michael Bremner, Amy Hinchliffe, Sarah Bethan Jones, Stephanie Roden and Sam Rowe – final year students on the communication design course. The show is called Assembly, and in the spirit of the title and the nature of the show, the identity also takes the idea of process as inspiration. "This best represents the unique spirit of the course, which puts emphasis on process, concept, and the joy of making,” say the designers.
The identity uses colourful cut-outs across the posters and other event collateral, an idea cleverly translated into a brilliant custom Tumblr design that uses two large shapes to obscure the work shown. The designers say: “The unique shapes of each poster were made from offcuts, no two are the same, pushing the boundaries of the conventional poster. We created visuals which reflect the vibrancy and energy of the new (almost) graduates.
“Our three specialisms – Graphic Design, Illustration and Photography – operate under the umbrella term Communication Design, the abstract and ever-changing aesthetic of the posters mirrors this and the variety of work that the students produce.”
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos