Another day, another astounding student work in progress show identity. This time, it’s for Glasgow School of Art, created by Michael Bremner, Amy Hinchliffe, Sarah Bethan Jones, Stephanie Roden and Sam Rowe – final year students on the communication design course. The show is called Assembly, and in the spirit of the title and the nature of the show, the identity also takes the idea of process as inspiration. "This best represents the unique spirit of the course, which puts emphasis on process, concept, and the joy of making,” say the designers.
The identity uses colourful cut-outs across the posters and other event collateral, an idea cleverly translated into a brilliant custom Tumblr design that uses two large shapes to obscure the work shown. The designers say: “The unique shapes of each poster were made from offcuts, no two are the same, pushing the boundaries of the conventional poster. We created visuals which reflect the vibrancy and energy of the new (almost) graduates.
“Our three specialisms – Graphic Design, Illustration and Photography – operate under the umbrella term Communication Design, the abstract and ever-changing aesthetic of the posters mirrors this and the variety of work that the students produce.”
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- The irreverent spontaneity of Stefan Marx’s markmaking
- Art for everyone: join Charlotte Mei for sculpture workshops at Private View
- Bureau Cool on its unpredictable and playful approach to web design
- Darius Ou creates dynamic, typographic identity for electronic music festival
- Vicky Grout takes us on a photographic trip through east London using Kodak's Ektra smartphone
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Timo Kuilder combines clean-cut linework with limited colours in his editorial work
- David Luraschi’s strikingly simple new campaign for fashion brand Jacquemus
- How 13 designers responded to a one-word brief: water
- Nicolas Ménard creates short animation for online mortgage broker Habito