Gouffre, is the third issue of a comics anthology by illustrators Sammy Stein, Alexis Beauclair, Bettina Henni and Severine Bascouert. Following issues Lagon and Volcan, the anthology sits between annual magazine and art book, and is an illustrated treasure-trove of 36 international artists.
With familiar names such as Marie Jacotey, Samplerman, and Jean-Philippe Bretin gracing its pages, Gouffre is an opportunity to catch up with your favourite illustrators and discover some talented new ones. Together, Alexis Beauclair and Sammy Stein “watch daily for new artists whose editorial or plastic approach resonates with the concept of the journal, narrative experiments and daring graphics,” the collective explains. “We celebrate new ways of drawing and narrating: minimal, maximal, without heroes, without characters, made of sensations or of emptiness, mute, aesthetic, close to abstraction, inspired by contemporary art, architecture, video games or graphic design.”
After spending the past two weeks in the French alps shaping the book together, it is now available as a riso, silkscreen and offset printed beauty. To celebrate its launch an exhibition showcasing details and extracts from Gouffre takes place at agnès b in Paris until 18 February 2017.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc