Stamps deserve to be emblazoned with heroes. Remember when artist Steve McQueen made a series of soldiers killed in Afghanistan? or when the Royal Mail chose to promote classic characters from British children’s television? It’s the perfect medium with which to send national treasures across the globe. Even if you only ever use the postal system when writing your grandma a postcard.
Naturally, the clever clogs in Finland’s postal service have decided that they want to promote one of their own most treasured heroes – Tom of Finland, created by artist Touko Laaksonen. The iconically erotic, homosexual illustrations have brought a hell of a lot of joy to a people over the years, perhaps because they picture people being naked and indulging in sex and really, really enjoying it. As well as being useful and promoting this absolute legend, the stamps themselves have been impeccably designed.
If you find yourself in Finland any time soon, the life of Touko Laaksonen will be celebrated in an exhibition of his life’s work in the Tampere Postal Museum from 6 September 2014.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting