There are many great things about the latest issue of Gratuitous Type, Elana Schlenker’s gorgeous printed publication celebrating this geekiest corner of the graphics world. The third instalment is the first based around a theme; kicking off with colour (or “color” as the Canadian publishers insist on having it…).
Firstly, it’s subtitled “A pamphlet of typographic smut” which is just a really excellent sentence whichever way you look at it. Secondly, it’s really nicely designed, from the die-cut wrap-around cover to the change-up of paper stock on the centrefold and the image-rich layouts. Thirdly, the names involved are eclectically international and uniformly excellent; from long-time favourites of ours like Hato Press, Hvass & Hannibal and Jordy van den Nieuwendijk (who designed the risograph postcard which comes with the magazine) to Bendita Gloria and Fanette Mellie.
But most of all what I love is that while typographic celebrations are often visual affairs, Elana’s editorial approach results in genuinely insightful interviews to run alongside the (plentiful) aesthetic perving on offer.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot by Jake Michaels in Tijuana
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg celebrated in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)