There are many great things about the latest issue of Gratuitous Type, Elana Schlenker’s gorgeous printed publication celebrating this geekiest corner of the graphics world. The third instalment is the first based around a theme; kicking off with colour (or “color” as the Canadian publishers insist on having it…).
Firstly, it’s subtitled “A pamphlet of typographic smut” which is just a really excellent sentence whichever way you look at it. Secondly, it’s really nicely designed, from the die-cut wrap-around cover to the change-up of paper stock on the centrefold and the image-rich layouts. Thirdly, the names involved are eclectically international and uniformly excellent; from long-time favourites of ours like Hato Press, Hvass & Hannibal and Jordy van den Nieuwendijk (who designed the risograph postcard which comes with the magazine) to Bendita Gloria and Fanette Mellie.
But most of all what I love is that while typographic celebrations are often visual affairs, Elana’s editorial approach results in genuinely insightful interviews to run alongside the (plentiful) aesthetic perving on offer.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc