The world of child actors can be a tricky one to navigate, from exploited teenyboppers to precocious drama school Jemimas. But photographer Helena Miscioscia’s latest series focusing on the youngsters who tread the boards at Shakespeare’s Globe theatre is a compelling and atmospheric triumph. Helena, who has an MA in Performance Studies, took inspiration from the portraits of the original Shakespearean actors and styled her modern-day subjects in the same way.
“I loved the contrast of the dark backgrounds against the pale serious faces and I wanted to try and capture this mood with the young Globe actors. I showed them the paintings so they could think about their expressions and mood during the shoot; they were all so natural. In costume they looked liked they had walked off a Jacobean stage.”
Both on the shoot and afterwards Helena worked assiduously to mimic the effects which so beguiled her from the paintings. “I used some simple studio lighting at the front but didn’t backlight the actors to try and ensure the contrast between the back cloth and the subject was high. In post production I also increased the contrast and clarity but softened the faces to replicate the painterly quality of the photographs.”
The results – which we came across in The Telegraph last weekend – are very special indeed.
- Bow down witches, it's a Best of the (cob)Web Halloween special!
- Photographer Philippe Chancel captures North Korea’s intensely choreographed ceremonies
- From a family-run “famzine” to a 30p grime mag, it's October's Things
- Wellcome Collection publishes book of early infographics, charts and diagrams for organising nature
- Sophie Koko Gate, an animator with immense illustrative skill
- Artist and illustrator Jamie Johnson's gently surreal compositions
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design