The world of child actors can be a tricky one to navigate, from exploited teenyboppers to precocious drama school Jemimas. But photographer Helena Miscioscia’s latest series focusing on the youngsters who tread the boards at Shakespeare’s Globe theatre is a compelling and atmospheric triumph. Helena, who has an MA in Performance Studies, took inspiration from the portraits of the original Shakespearean actors and styled her modern-day subjects in the same way.
“I loved the contrast of the dark backgrounds against the pale serious faces and I wanted to try and capture this mood with the young Globe actors. I showed them the paintings so they could think about their expressions and mood during the shoot; they were all so natural. In costume they looked liked they had walked off a Jacobean stage.”
Both on the shoot and afterwards Helena worked assiduously to mimic the effects which so beguiled her from the paintings. “I used some simple studio lighting at the front but didn’t backlight the actors to try and ensure the contrast between the back cloth and the subject was high. In post production I also increased the contrast and clarity but softened the faces to replicate the painterly quality of the photographs.”
The results – which we came across in The Telegraph last weekend – are very special indeed.
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team