Let me introduce Henrik Vibskov – he seems like a very cool guy, a modern day polymath, if you will. I recently came across his menswear spring summer 2013 collection, a mixture of sharp tailored pieces and jazzy day wear having a love affair with polka dots.
Not only is he responsible for designing the collections for his fashion label, he also dreams up the environments, bringing the shows to life in a spectacular, lively, tongue-in-cheek way. He embraces a sense of theatricality in his clothes, which extends to “tantalising universes created in relation to each collection”. A spectator from Hint Magazine noted: “His spring 2013 collection gave way to squeals of delight when a giant tongue dotted with black polyps unravelled on the catwalk. Assembled with the aid of two assistant ninjas, the tongue filled with air and dancers emerged from its interior.”
After doing a bit of digging around I found out that the award-winning Vibskov (he’s a Dane) graduated from St Martins in 2001 and has been trailblazing his way through fashion circles ever since. Apparently, he’s currently the only Scandinavian designer on the official show schedule of Paris Men’s Fashion Week.
Through dabbling with fantastical sets and installations, Visbok has also established himself as a successful visual artist. He’s exhibited internationally and his ongoing collaborative projects with artist Andreas Emenius, under the moniker Vibskov & Emenius, are really great. Check out the Fringe projects!
If this hasn’t convinced you of his talents, Henrik Vibskov also finds time to be the drummer for electronic musician Trentemøller. We’re impressed!
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s