The legacy of London 2012 will be hotly debated over coming months but forget the UK’s new sense of identity, the embracing of volunteering or even world-class sporting facilities, for us there’s one clear winner. Grant Orchard’s Love Sport Game On animations have long been a great source of joy in their colourful, to-the-point celebrations of pursuits from ski-jumping to dominoes, but during the Olympics not only did Studio AKA re-release the original set but also four brand new films covering weightlifting, fencing, synchronised swimming and equestrian. Now even Seb Coe will admit that’s made it all worthwhile.
Grant’s Morning Stroll animation won a BAFTA, was nominated for an Oscar and remains one of the most oddly uplifting couple of minutes around. He’s always been a creative able to wrongfoot us – as this eyebrow-rasiingly naughty spot did in April – and it’s refreshing to see someone as good as he is willing and able to still take risks.
At Here Grant will be explain how he set about getting back the time to indulge in “pointless pursuits” which the increasing demands on his time ate into, all with the aid of “diagrams, bar charts and tacky slogans.” It promises to be an entertaining exploration of the line between professional and personal from a talent whose trajectory is so flipping upward it’s basically vertical.
Here is a one day creative symposium being held at London’s Royal Geographical Society on Friday September 21. For more information and tickets click here.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood