The legacy of London 2012 will be hotly debated over coming months but forget the UK’s new sense of identity, the embracing of volunteering or even world-class sporting facilities, for us there’s one clear winner. Grant Orchard’s Love Sport Game On animations have long been a great source of joy in their colourful, to-the-point celebrations of pursuits from ski-jumping to dominoes, but during the Olympics not only did Studio AKA re-release the original set but also four brand new films covering weightlifting, fencing, synchronised swimming and equestrian. Now even Seb Coe will admit that’s made it all worthwhile.
Grant’s Morning Stroll animation won a BAFTA, was nominated for an Oscar and remains one of the most oddly uplifting couple of minutes around. He’s always been a creative able to wrongfoot us – as this eyebrow-rasiingly naughty spot did in April – and it’s refreshing to see someone as good as he is willing and able to still take risks.
At Here Grant will be explain how he set about getting back the time to indulge in “pointless pursuits” which the increasing demands on his time ate into, all with the aid of “diagrams, bar charts and tacky slogans.” It promises to be an entertaining exploration of the line between professional and personal from a talent whose trajectory is so flipping upward it’s basically vertical.
Here is a one day creative symposium being held at London’s Royal Geographical Society on Friday September 21. For more information and tickets click here.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s