Referred to as the “Willy Wonka of design and science,” Nelly Ben Hayoun is a French award-winning director, performer and experience designer. Nelly teams up with leading scientists and engineers to create events and performances with the intention of adapting science “to our creative needs.”
Nelly is the brains behind International Space Orchestra at NASA, an experimental and hybrid research laboratory where space scientists have been invited to “implement, deconstruct, perform, sing, mix, modify, and design musical acts in control rooms.” Other projects include semi-domesticated volcanoes which are installed in the living space of volunteers for a couple of weeks and erupt sporadically. Domesticating a natural disaster, Nelly wants to play on a love-hate relationship – would you try to destroy it, or invite people round to see it?
At Here 2013, Nelly will discuss her project with NASA, how this and other projects came to life, not forgetting the doubts and difficulties experienced along the way. From Chernobyl to the CMS detector, she will discuss the value of “extreme” field work, an essential part of “designer training.”
For more info on Here 2013 and to get tickets please visit: www.here-london.com
There are group discounts available – please email email@example.com. If you’re a student or recent 2012 graduate then we’re offering educational discounts (£60 for full day pass) – simply email firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant