The World Cup inspired projects are coming thick and fast now but few have breached our offside trap more comprehensively than this. It’s a collaboration between designer Dave Sedgwick (Studio DBD) and the Bacelona’s Hey Studio, whose excellent Every Hey Instagram feed has embraced World Cup mania for the purposes of this new book.
Gol! features illustrations of players from each of the 32 nations competing in Brazil and brings Hey’s pared-back, super colourful illustrative style to the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi and, um, Maynor Figueroa.
Dave said: “The Every Hey characters lend themselves brilliantly to footballers from around the world so I knew they’d be right for the project. A few Skype calls, emails and a meeting in Barcelona and we all agreed the direction we would like to take the collaboration in.”
The book will be on sale at Manchester’s TwentyTwentyTwo space which will also host an exhibition of Hey Studio’s work from 12 June to 5 July; you can also buy it via the online shop here.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors