The World Cup inspired projects are coming thick and fast now but few have breached our offside trap more comprehensively than this. It’s a collaboration between designer Dave Sedgwick (Studio DBD) and the Bacelona’s Hey Studio, whose excellent Every Hey Instagram feed has embraced World Cup mania for the purposes of this new book.
Gol! features illustrations of players from each of the 32 nations competing in Brazil and brings Hey’s pared-back, super colourful illustrative style to the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi and, um, Maynor Figueroa.
Dave said: “The Every Hey characters lend themselves brilliantly to footballers from around the world so I knew they’d be right for the project. A few Skype calls, emails and a meeting in Barcelona and we all agreed the direction we would like to take the collaboration in.”
The book will be on sale at Manchester’s TwentyTwentyTwo space which will also host an exhibition of Hey Studio’s work from 12 June to 5 July; you can also buy it via the online shop here.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs