The World Cup inspired projects are coming thick and fast now but few have breached our offside trap more comprehensively than this. It’s a collaboration between designer Dave Sedgwick (Studio DBD) and the Bacelona’s Hey Studio, whose excellent Every Hey Instagram feed has embraced World Cup mania for the purposes of this new book.
Gol! features illustrations of players from each of the 32 nations competing in Brazil and brings Hey’s pared-back, super colourful illustrative style to the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi and, um, Maynor Figueroa.
Dave said: “The Every Hey characters lend themselves brilliantly to footballers from around the world so I knew they’d be right for the project. A few Skype calls, emails and a meeting in Barcelona and we all agreed the direction we would like to take the collaboration in.”
The book will be on sale at Manchester’s TwentyTwentyTwo space which will also host an exhibition of Hey Studio’s work from 12 June to 5 July; you can also buy it via the online shop here.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”