The World Cup inspired projects are coming thick and fast now but few have breached our offside trap more comprehensively than this. It’s a collaboration between designer Dave Sedgwick (Studio DBD) and the Bacelona’s Hey Studio, whose excellent Every Hey Instagram feed has embraced World Cup mania for the purposes of this new book.
Gol! features illustrations of players from each of the 32 nations competing in Brazil and brings Hey’s pared-back, super colourful illustrative style to the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi and, um, Maynor Figueroa.
Dave said: “The Every Hey characters lend themselves brilliantly to footballers from around the world so I knew they’d be right for the project. A few Skype calls, emails and a meeting in Barcelona and we all agreed the direction we would like to take the collaboration in.”
The book will be on sale at Manchester’s TwentyTwentyTwo space which will also host an exhibition of Hey Studio’s work from 12 June to 5 July; you can also buy it via the online shop here.
- Scott King, Roger Hiorns and Tom Morton discuss provocation for new book The Creative Stance
- Flaneur explores the magic of Moscow in its biggest issue yet
- Brooklyn illustrator Ping Zhu and her breezy brushstrokes full of energy
- Irreconcilable Truths: a 1500-page survey of legendary photographer Don McCullin’s work
- Rob Flowers, Roberto Rosolin, Liv Siddall and Greg Barth at Nicer Tuesdays October
- Milou Trouwborst's refined, simplistic and melancholic illustrations
- Bompas & Parr explores the strange world of sploshing (NSFW)
- Working Not Working reveals the top 50 companies creatives would kill to work for
- Kodak returns to its 1970s symbol, joining the retrobrand bandwagon
- Kodak unveils the Ektra: its first ever smartphone
- Retracing and recreating historic reggae record sleeves with photographer Alex Bartsch
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design