Even though the onset of winter is more about log fires and thermal undies than the gorgeous, brain-flippingly sweet sensation of biting into an ice cream, London’s V&A museum is paying homage to this humble frozen delicacy.
I Scream Factory is a multi-sensory MA project first launched at Central St Martins by creative director Alexandra Plesner who comes from a family where ice cream has been their business for five generations. Alexandra was keen to explore our relationship with this quintessential here-one-minute-gone-the-next treat, by “delving into the metaphoric possibilities of the product.”
Working a multinational roster of really energising, young creative talent, she has brought together several very different but equally engaging takes on these ideas.
We were particularly enamoured with Takeshi Suga’s photographs, where his trademark delicacy with light and colour mirrors the foodstuff at the centre of his creations. He said: “I use ice cream as a sweet and sentimental vehicle for stirring up nostalgia and our longing for childhood, and what makes my images unique is that there’s a strong Japanese aesthetic to them, both visually and narratively.”
And it’s no great surprise that both Melanie Galea and Sara Mautone from Italy – a country with a longterm love affair with ice cream – both produced excellent responses too, but truth be told there’s a lot to enjoy across the projects which also come from Ting Cheng," Maxim Emelyanov, Katya Sinkovskaja, Lena Vazhenina and Nadia Sarwar.
The work goes on display at the V&A for one night only on November 16 as part of the Creative Direction in the Digital Age showcase.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission "Kick over the statues"
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations