Even though the onset of winter is more about log fires and thermal undies than the gorgeous, brain-flippingly sweet sensation of biting into an ice cream, London’s V&A museum is paying homage to this humble frozen delicacy.
I Scream Factory is a multi-sensory MA project first launched at Central St Martins by creative director Alexandra Plesner who comes from a family where ice cream has been their business for five generations. Alexandra was keen to explore our relationship with this quintessential here-one-minute-gone-the-next treat, by “delving into the metaphoric possibilities of the product.”
Working a multinational roster of really energising, young creative talent, she has brought together several very different but equally engaging takes on these ideas.
We were particularly enamoured with Takeshi Suga’s photographs, where his trademark delicacy with light and colour mirrors the foodstuff at the centre of his creations. He said: “I use ice cream as a sweet and sentimental vehicle for stirring up nostalgia and our longing for childhood, and what makes my images unique is that there’s a strong Japanese aesthetic to them, both visually and narratively.”
And it’s no great surprise that both Melanie Galea and Sara Mautone from Italy – a country with a longterm love affair with ice cream – both produced excellent responses too, but truth be told there’s a lot to enjoy across the projects which also come from Ting Cheng," Maxim Emelyanov, Katya Sinkovskaja, Lena Vazhenina and Nadia Sarwar.
The work goes on display at the V&A for one night only on November 16 as part of the Creative Direction in the Digital Age showcase.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s