I read in the newspaper today that a lone alien enthusiast might have discovered a spaceship whilst scanning through hours of satellite footage one coffee-fuelled night. When I think about it, it seems more likely that this space fanatic stumbled across the illustrations of Jesse Jacobs, whose explosive compositions manage to make even pastel colours seem cosmic.
Jesse has published a few graphic novels to date, including By This You Shall Know Him, all about a gang of celestial beings whose skin seems made out of the same dimpled texture as the pickled alien in Dune. Other illustrations include a group of ploddy, snail-necked monsters in the middle of a ritual, and a pair of giant ice monkeys sharing a frigid embrace. The colour coordinations, or maybe it’s better to describe them as colour contradictions, of Jesse’s compositions are extremely appealing: hot pinks are strikingly melded with slime green, and startling flashes of red peek out amongst a sea of blazing turquoise.
Pixelated robots, ropey organisms, swirling creatures of the cosmos, and even a bundle of intergalactic puppies feature in Jesse’s work, and we really cannot get enough of the meteoric illustrations.
- The creative team behind John Grant’s post-apocalyptic world
- They have beauty, they have grace, they are Jack Mears’ ceramic dogs
- Caroline Tompkins deftly captures goggle marks, swim caps and foam floats
- Illustrator Jan Robert Duennweller's erratic style creates "visual headlines"
- Réka Neszmélyi's boundary breaking identity for Hungarian Bánkitó Cultural & Music Festival 2016
- Five things to remember as a young creative
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale