When it comes to editorial design in the newspaper world, The Guardian’s overhaul overseen by Mark Porter tends to be the most talked about example. But that may change in light of the new look for The Independent which was unveiled today. With top talent Matt Willey working alongside the paper’s in-house design team, the new design sees the masthead move to run vertically up the left-hand side, stripped-back layouts and new type treatments.
The official blurb says the redesign aims to “revive the spirit of its founders” and emphasise the paper’s “international perspective” and “Enlightenment values.”
Editor Amol Rajan said of the changes: "We wanted to go back to the future and embrace the maxim of our first editor Andreas Whittam Smith to develop a design that is ‘classic, with a twist.’ The new-look paper highlights our best elements; it is true to our heritage, but also radical and innovative – as The Independent has always been – and also incorporates a strong dose of mischief!”
In a corner of the print world fighting for its future more than most, it’s great to see The Independent shake things up in such an interesting way.
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations