Getting our magazine delivered straight to your door is one thing, but getting the magazine and an exclusive A1-sized print of astounding depth and impeccable detail by photographic genius Cyril Porchet… well, that’s just special. Thankfully, if you pre-order It’s Nice That No.8 now it’s also very possible. Not only will you receive the magazine – which includes a fascinating menagerie of in-depth interviews and exclusive features – you’ll also receive the church image pictured, at sublime mega-scale…
Porchet – a graduate of the consistently fantastic Swiss art school ECAL – began documenting Baroque churches a couple of years ago, initially concentrating on their exuberant altars before moving on to documenting their ceilings. He’s since photographed six, two of which were taken exclusively for It’s Nice That and are published for the first time in the new issue.
But how does he choose which churches to photograph?
“I’ve always selected the ceilings based on their structural arrangements and on the level of saturation within the imagery,” the photographer says. “This visual saturation, at first glance, provides spectators with a certain level of abstraction – the image appears flattened, and reference marks are immediately lost. But before long concrete elements are distinguished and suddenly the composed whole is visible.”
The goal, Porchet says, is not only to reveal the exuberance of Baroque-era churches, but to make a much broader comment on today’s illusionary image culture.
“I see the series as a metaphor of the theatrical mind of our society. The world is now a permanent representation – the false seems true and the true seems false. These ceilings – which incorporate not only the ceilings but the windows and the walls and sometimes even the church organ – become part of a single image. It’s all an illusion.”
Porchet’s ceiling – printed at A1 (594 × 841mm) – will accompany all No.8 pre-orders.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission "Kick over the statues"
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations