For seven weeks, It’s Nice That has one of the biggest honours in the creative industry – our work on show in the prestigious Selfridges windows. To coincide with the iconic store’s Words Words Words season – a unique, multi-stranded initiative that promotes slow communication and celebrates the inspirational and creative power of words and literature – we have art-directed four special three-dimensional extravaganzas.
Having been set the loose brief of bringing the concept of ‘Words, Words, Words’ to life over 6 months ago, we have worked round the clock to commission some of the best names in the business to really get to the heart of the power, fun and eccentricity of our wonderful English language.
For the showpiece corner window of Oxford Street and Orchard Street, we have collaborated with interactive designer Stewdio to create ‘The Word-A-Coaster’ a playful fortune telling machine. The 14 foot high hand-built wooden rollercoaster (constructed by model makers Atom) is surrounded by a sea of 30,000 brightly coloured balls filled with 30,000 unique fortunes that can be picked up in store for free.
Inside the balls, shoppers will find a small card emblazoned with a uniquely numbered adjective, generated by a clever computer programme that leaves each individual with their own personal, playful prediction for 2012.
To complement the corner window, we have worked with three of our favourite designers, challenging them to create a physical interpretation of the word WORDS. All three are wonderful in their own ways, from artist Ben Long’s beautifully constructed scaffold structure, to designer Chrissie Macdonald’s superb oversized objects and surface designer Giles Miller’s intricate cardboard creations.
All in all, it’s an excitingly diverse range of creative interpretations of the overarching Words, Words, Word’ theme, in keeping with It’s Nice That’s mission – to champion great creativity.
What better way to welcome in the new year?
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale