For seven weeks, It’s Nice That has one of the biggest honours in the creative industry – our work on show in the prestigious Selfridges windows. To coincide with the iconic store’s Words Words Words season – a unique, multi-stranded initiative that promotes slow communication and celebrates the inspirational and creative power of words and literature – we have art-directed four special three-dimensional extravaganzas.
Having been set the loose brief of bringing the concept of ‘Words, Words, Words’ to life over 6 months ago, we have worked round the clock to commission some of the best names in the business to really get to the heart of the power, fun and eccentricity of our wonderful English language.
For the showpiece corner window of Oxford Street and Orchard Street, we have collaborated with interactive designer Stewdio to create ‘The Word-A-Coaster’ a playful fortune telling machine. The 14 foot high hand-built wooden rollercoaster (constructed by model makers Atom) is surrounded by a sea of 30,000 brightly coloured balls filled with 30,000 unique fortunes that can be picked up in store for free.
Inside the balls, shoppers will find a small card emblazoned with a uniquely numbered adjective, generated by a clever computer programme that leaves each individual with their own personal, playful prediction for 2012.
To complement the corner window, we have worked with three of our favourite designers, challenging them to create a physical interpretation of the word WORDS. All three are wonderful in their own ways, from artist Ben Long’s beautifully constructed scaffold structure, to designer Chrissie Macdonald’s superb oversized objects and surface designer Giles Miller’s intricate cardboard creations.
All in all, it’s an excitingly diverse range of creative interpretations of the overarching Words, Words, Word’ theme, in keeping with It’s Nice That’s mission – to champion great creativity.
What better way to welcome in the new year?
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant