For seven weeks, It’s Nice That has one of the biggest honours in the creative industry – our work on show in the prestigious Selfridges windows. To coincide with the iconic store’s Words Words Words season – a unique, multi-stranded initiative that promotes slow communication and celebrates the inspirational and creative power of words and literature – we have art-directed four special three-dimensional extravaganzas.
Having been set the loose brief of bringing the concept of ‘Words, Words, Words’ to life over 6 months ago, we have worked round the clock to commission some of the best names in the business to really get to the heart of the power, fun and eccentricity of our wonderful English language.
For the showpiece corner window of Oxford Street and Orchard Street, we have collaborated with interactive designer Stewdio to create ‘The Word-A-Coaster’ a playful fortune telling machine. The 14 foot high hand-built wooden rollercoaster (constructed by model makers Atom) is surrounded by a sea of 30,000 brightly coloured balls filled with 30,000 unique fortunes that can be picked up in store for free.
Inside the balls, shoppers will find a small card emblazoned with a uniquely numbered adjective, generated by a clever computer programme that leaves each individual with their own personal, playful prediction for 2012.
To complement the corner window, we have worked with three of our favourite designers, challenging them to create a physical interpretation of the word WORDS. All three are wonderful in their own ways, from artist Ben Long’s beautifully constructed scaffold structure, to designer Chrissie Macdonald’s superb oversized objects and surface designer Giles Miller’s intricate cardboard creations.
All in all, it’s an excitingly diverse range of creative interpretations of the overarching Words, Words, Word’ theme, in keeping with It’s Nice That’s mission – to champion great creativity.
What better way to welcome in the new year?
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project